SALAAHUL KUSOOF AND KHUSOOF
1. At the time of solar eclipse (kusoof) two rakaats of salaah are sunnah.
2. Salaahul kusoof has to be offered with jama'at on the condition that it is led by the imam of jumu'ah salaah, the ruler of that time or his deputy. According to one narration, it is permissible for the imam of every musjid to perform this salaah in his musjid.
3. There is no adhaan or iqaamah for salaahul kusoof. But in order to gather the people, this announcement can be made: "as-Salaahu jaami'atun" i.e. the salaah is about to commence with jama'at.
4. It is sunnah to recite lengthy Surahs such as Surah Baqarah in salaahul kusoof, and also to lengthen the ruku and sajdahs. The qira'at should be made silently.
5. After the salaah, the imam should occupy himself in dua and the muqtadis should continue saying aameen to his duas. This dua should continue until the eclipse disappears. However, if in this state, the sun sets or the time of a certain salaah enters, the dua should be stopped and the salaah should be offered.
6. Two rakaats of salaah are also sunnah at the time of lunar eclipse (khusoof). However, jama'at is not sunnah for this salaah. The people should offer this salaah at their homes individually. It is not preferable to go to the musjid.
7. In the same way, if some fear or calamity is experienced, it is preferable to offer salaah. For example: there is a severe hurricane, an earthquake, lightning, thunder storms, a lot of snow falls, very heavy rain falls, a certain disease such as cholera becomes rife or there is a fear of a certain enemy. However, whatever salaah that is offered in this time should not be offered with jama'at. Each person should offer his salaah at home individually. When Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam experienced any difficulty or sorrow, he used to occupy himself in salaah.
8. Apart from these salaahs that have been mentioned, the more optional salaahs a person engages in, the more reward he will receive and he will reach higher stages. Especially salaahs in those times for which certain virtue has been mentioned in the Hadith. And also in which Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam has urged us to engage in some ibaadah or the other. For example, in the last ten nights of Ramadaan and the fifteenth of Sha'baan. Many virtues and a lot of reward has been mentioned in the Hadith for engaging in ibaadah in these days and nights. We have avoided going into details so that this chapter does not get too lengthy.