1. If a person misses a salaah, then on remembering it, he should immediately make qada of it. It is a sin to delay offering a qada salaah without any valid excuse. If a person misses a salaah and does not make qada of it immediately, but postpones it to another time or to another day, and then suddenly dies - he will get a double sin. One for missing the salaah and the other for not making qada of it immediately.
2. If a person misses several salaahs, as far as possible he should make qada of all. If it is possible, he should make an effort to offer all of them at one time. It is not necessary that the qada of zuhr be offered in zuhr time or that the qada of asr be offered at asr time. If he has to make qada for several months or several years, as far as possible he should make qada of them as quickly as possible. He should try and offer several qada salaahs in one salaah time. However, if he is compelled or has no alternative, he should offer one qada salaah in one salaah time. But this is the minimum.
3. There is no stipulated time for qada salaah. Whenever one gets the opportunity, one should make wudu and offer salaah. However, one should take the makruh times of salaah into consideration.
4. If a person has only one qada salaah to offer and before this he never missed any salaah, or he had missed in the past but he made qada of all of them, then he should offer this one qada salaah before offering any other salaah. If he offers any other salaah without offering this qada salaah, it will not be valid. He must offer the qada salaah and repeat that other salaah. However, if he completely forgot to offer the qada salaah, the other salaah will be valid. When he remembers, he will merely have to offer the qada salaah and it will not be necessary to repeat the other salaah.
5. If the time is so short that if he offers the qada salaah first, he will miss the other salaah, then he should offer the other salaah first and then offer the qada salaah.
6. A person misses two, three, four or five salaahs and does not have to read any other salaah for the past. That is, from the time he became mature he did not miss any salaah, or if he missed, he made qada of all. Then as long as he does not offer these five salaahs, it will not be permissible to offer any other salaah. When he offers these five qada salaahs, he should offer them in the same order as he had missed them, i.e. the one that he missed first should be offered first and the one that he missed second should be offered second, and so on. For example, if a person misses the salaahs of an entire day: fajr, zuhr, asr, maghrib and esha. When he is offering his qada, he should offer it in the same order. If he does not offer fajr first, but zuhr or asr or any other salaah, then this will not be proper. He will have to repeat it.
7. If a person has to make qada of six salaahs or more, he can offer any other salaah without having offered the six qada salaahs. And when he offers these six salaahs, he does not have to offer them in the order that he missed them. He can offer them in any order that he wishes. It is no longer wajib to offer them in order.
8. Several months or several years have passed and the person has not offered those six or more salaahs. However, thereafter he always offered his salaahs on time and did not allow himself to miss any salaah. After all these months or years, he now misses one salaah. Even in this case it will be permissible to read all other salaahs without making qada of those that he missed. When offering these salaahs, he does not have to follow any set order.
9. A person had to offer six or more qada salaahs and therefore did not have to offer them in the order that he missed them. However, he offered these salaahs by reading one or two at a time and thereby completed all of them. No salaah is left which he has to make qada of. If he now misses out one to five salaahs again, he will have to make qada of them in the order that he missed and it will not be permissible for him to offer any other salaah without offering these qada salaahs first. But if he misses out six salaahs or more again, he will once again be excused from offering them in the order that he missed them. He will also be able to offer other salaahs without having offered his qada salaahs first.
10. A person had many qada salaahs to offer. He commenced offering them and gradually completed all of them with the exception of four or five. It is not wajib to offer these four or five salaahs in order. He has the choice of offering them as he wishes. It is also permissible for him to offer other salaahs without having offered these qada salaahs.
11. A person missed out witr salaah and does not have any other qada salaah to offer. It is therefore not permissible for him to offer the fajr salaah without having offered the qada of witr salaah first. If he knows that he has to make qada of the witr salaah first and still offers the fajr salaah, he will have to offer the qada salaah of witr and repeat the fajr salaah.
12. A person offered only his esha salaah and slept away. He then awoke for tahajjud, made wudu and offered his tahajjud and witr salaahs. In the morning he remembered that he had forgetfully offered his esha salaah without wudu. He will now have to make qada of the esha salaah only, and not the witr salaah.
13. Qada is only made for the fard and witr salaahs. There is no qada for the sunnah salaahs. However, if a person misses out his fajr salaah and makes qada of it before mid-day, he should also make qada of the sunnah of fajr salaah. And if he makes the qada after mid-day, he should only make qada of the fard salaah.
14. If there was very little time left for fajr and he therefore only read the fard salaah, it is preferable to offer the sunnah salaah after the sun has risen considerably. But he has to read it before mid-day.
15. A person who rarely used to offer his salaahs made taubah. It will now be wajib for him to make qada of all the salaahs which he had missed throughout his life. By making taubah, one is not excused from offering salaahs. However, by making taubah, he is forgiven from the sin which he committed by missing out the salaahs. Now, if he does not make qada of these missed salaahs, the sin will return to him.
16. A person had missed several salaahs and did not get the opportunity to make qada of them as yet. At the time of death, it will be wajib for him to make a wasiyyat to pay fidyah for all the missed salaahs. He will be sinning if he does not do this. The masa'il related to giving fidyah for missed salaahs will be explained in Part Three in the chapter dealing with fidyah for missed fasts - Insha Allah.
17. If several people have missed a particular salaah, they should make qada of it with jama'at. If it is a salaah in which qira'at is normally made aloud, then when making qada, it should also be recited aloud. If it is normally made softly, it should also be made softly when making qada.
18. If an immature child offers his esha salaah and sleeps away, and after the break of dawn he notices traces of semen which indicates that he had a wet dream, then the preferred opinion is that he should repeat his esha salaah. And if he wakes up before the break of dawn and notices traces of semen, then all the ulama say that he will have to make qada of the esha salaah.